Thursday, January 25, 2007

Blogging in Portiuncula

Sigh.. this shows how boring my oncall is in Portiuncula Hospital. This is my 5th call of the month.. and I have been here for 4 weeks.. time really flew by.. always.. and guess what.. I didnt do much to feed my brain when I should. I dont know what am I going to do next, where I am going next.. friends are applying for jobs and I havent even done my ACLS yet.. this is terrible. What happen to my organised lifestyle? Why did I stop doing that? Is it because I have too many options.. or is it because I am thinking too much or maybe I am just being too indecisive about everything. What should I do next.. that stays on..


My team.. consists of Karl Neff.. the best co intern I've ever known.. My SHO.. May.. surprisingly it feels slightly different working and living together with her this time round.. and my Reg, Dr Mustafa Guma Salem.. totally the opposite of what I heard from another classmate. Apparently he was fierce and strict but to me, he's fine and have not shown those mentioned earlier. People do change I guess and for the better I hope.


What happened since I have started my job here? I realised that I dont know medicine that much anymore and I need to be guided most of the time. The worst part is that I have always hated endocrinology and guess what, I am working with an endocrinologist, which in turn, means most of my patients would have endocrinology problems and I guess I have no choice but to learn physiology again and accept the fact that I know nothing or rather couldnt be bothered to know anything about them. Sigh.. this is terrible.. the thought kept on haunting me.. I should be studying.. like right now and yet I am not. Why am I doing this again and again???? Anyway.. what have I seen so far?


Anaphylactic shock.. give antihistamine, adrenaline IV 1 in 10 000 and then hydrocortisone 100mg stat dose.. in that order I was told; I had a few brilliant ECG classes with Dr Barton and I am quite comfortable reading ECG now; Mr Doyle was great as well on stats today; a lot of error in prescription esp when I am prescribing INSULIN.. so mafan la.. have to prescribe others but duh, if I dont, how else the patient can check their BM right? Oh yea.. saw alprazolam prescribed as 20mg 12hourly ie 40mg when in actual fact, patient is only taking 2mg as required. No wonder the patient is agitated and bitter. He told me to shag off.. duh..! What else? Cant remember..


Oh yea.. Mike Floyd is still as nice as ever.. and helpful. I am so glad it was him that I spoke to. I hope my patient will get his JJ stent eventually. We have been sending plenty of requests to Galway.. geez... cant get away from that place I supposed.. St James's just take forever.


Ok..enough of babbling. Katya is going back to Germany soon so we are going to have some sort of going away party/dinner for her. I might just join them for dinner and a few drinks afterwards and join Boon to Dublin.. and go to Galway on Sun to call parents. I dont know yet. I will decide tomorrow.


Housemates.. fantastic. Couldnt ask for more. Harliana, also known as Lyana is such a good cook and amazingly we could get along very well.. May would usually go back to Galway for obvious reason and Boon.. another great person that I could get along with... whose passion for medicine is just indescribable. He will definitely go far...


So thats all folk.. and believe it or not.. 20 mins passed and no calls yet! Keep it that way!!

 
posted by Mel at 10:13 PM, |

0 Comments: