Wednesday, December 27, 2006

On Call on St Stephen's Day

Hmm.. I thought being on call on St Stephen's day would be fine.. quiet and all.. but unfortunately, Danielle was sick and she was supposed to be covering Vascular patients.. and James Keane almost got me into doing both. Thank God Mr Larkin was there and he was nice enough to sort it out... so James Keane went on to advertise this job.. and he offered 1540 euro to any surgical SHO who would like to do the call..wow.. good money though but such a busy job.. no doubt about that.. considering most patient would be on heparin infusion and you need to check their APTT every 6 hours and most of them are also on Ilioprost infusion-Thank God we used a lot of heparin infusion in Urology. The whole day was spent doing phlebotomy and IV cannulation.. and reviewing patient re high BP, high pulse, high temp etc.. everything high.. and I had to do the first few hours of Vascular.. very stressful cos the jobs were just waiting for you and you just cannot get some rest..it was crazy.. and then..I got a bleep from Alfred.. he's the locum Intern.. Thank God.

Oh yeah.. we lost one patient yesterday, perforated GU.. and his pH was 7.2. Sending him over to ICU didnt help at all. Athar helped me with my ABG.. which usually fails. I have to practice more on that.

Today... I had to carry the on call pager because Karl brought ours home to his house in Cork. So many calls from nurses forcing me to do jobs because they couldnt find the Intern of that team.. examples would be: Hi there.. is this 901.. and my reply was.. No.. I am not on call.. this is Mr Mark Regan's intern.. "Oh.. ok..will u be covering Prof Kerin's patient?" Is that a valid Q when you already said you're somebody's else intern??? I mean hallo!

Anyway.. whole day was spent on doing that and further cannula and phlebotomy. At times, I am sick of this job but what choice do I have. I dont even know if I am up for more of this in the future.

I better get going. Cant wait for the 3 priests to come tomorrow. I have yet to clean the house though. Maybe I should sleep early tonight and start cleaning very early in the morning tomorrow.
 
posted by Mel at 7:54 PM, |

0 Comments: