Saturday, December 16, 2006
My Annual Leave is here
Finally.. I am having my very last Annual leave of this year.. and I am savouring every moment of it.. although I dont really have any plans on how to use it besides packing, moving and studying for my medical internship. I know nothing about medicine at this point of my life and I need some brain to help me get through my first night of medical on call.
Last night was not as great as I thought it should be. I thought it would just be us-doctors and nurses of St Pius.. but instead the whole place is packed with some other drunkards and the music was too loud I can hardly converse with anyone in there. I am not good at shouting either but it's amazing how Mr Rodgers, Rowan, Mike and Ivor can shout and I can still hear what they're saying. I can hardly know what I said but they can hear me.. so I guess thats good enough.
And I must add, Ivor has lots of admirer that night.. He was occupied most of the time-be it nurses-both old n young ones, and also other doctors ;-) Whose name should never be mentioned. I am sure he knows that she likes him.. tapi buat tak tau.. and I managed to korek rahsia.. wah.. so nice ah.. it's nice to know I can have a normal conversation with an Irish doctor! Normal ie not medical talk. I will definitel miss all of them.. Mr Rodgers, Mr Imtiaz-he came!, Mr Casey, Mr Floyd, Mr Cullen, Angela, Bianca, Zee, Johanna, all the Marys, Jessica, Elaine, Ailish, Bernadette, Annette, Linda, Katie and others.. love them.. surpisingly Moya didnt come.
Yesterday was my last day with Mr Regan's team.. How do I describe that internship.. I am glad to have such a calm Reg and supportive co intern-Athar and Karl. Mr Regan himself is my role model-passionate, practical, kind and he listens to his patient- full of patience.. something that I dont quite have right now. I may be passionate about my work.. but sometimes, I get frustrated too easily when things didnt work out the way I wanted it to be.. although I should know that planning ahead doesnt work all the time. I get upset with nurses who kept on reminding me to write discharge letters when they know that I am still doing ward rounds with the team. How can I forget to do discharge letters-you dont have to tell me that. Arrghh... and the worst thing that I had to deal with during this rotation would be verbal abuse from nurses, patient and family members. One example would be at the OPD yesterday..
Patient: I have been waiting for 2 hours... when am I going in?
Nurse:Hmmm...
Me: Sure Mr G, come with me pls..
Me: Hi, My name is Imelda, I work with Mr Regan, pls take a seat
Patient: Yeah!
Flip.. flip..flip..
Me: So, Mr G, how can I help you?
Patient: You tell me! I was told to come to clinic today.
Flip.. flip.. Aha.. OGD, Colonoscopy.. check Histology then.. ok.. both normal.. hmm...
Me: Do you have any symptoms at the moment? Any indigestion/heartburn/belching?
Patient: None
Me: How's the bowel going for you? Any change in bowel habit?
Patient: NO
Me: Any blood in the back passage?
Patient: NO
Me: Is there anything else that's bothering you?
Patient: NO
Me: I was just looking through your chart here.. you had some scope tests in the past. They took a biopsy from both top and tail. I guess I here to tell you that both of the biopsies came back as normal considering you dont have any acute symptoms:
Patient: (roaring) WHY CANT YOU POST THAT TO ME instead of making me come over. I WAS TOLD TO COME AT 10.45 and it's 12.15 now.. I have been waiting for almost 2 hours. This is so behind schedule.
Me: I am sorry Mr G that you have to wait that long. I dont make those schedule.
Patient: You're just wasting my time here. I cant believe this.
Me: I dont understand why you are upset with me. Like I said I dont make the schedule.
Patient: I am going to leave now.
Me: Go ahead. You dont have to come back to us..
And I discharged him back to his poor GP-SUCH AN ASS HOLE. People ask him to come back because he has some unknown cause of anaemia and FOB positive.. query Barretts and Colon Ca.. but I guess he's not worried about that AT ALL. I do hope that he would get those.. because I didnt even get the chance to assess his risk factors.. ah if his GP feels he needs further Investigations, he would be referred back to us and by then, I am gone.. and I hope he wont get it until years where his ca has gone to his bone and liver. So angry!
Last night was not as great as I thought it should be. I thought it would just be us-doctors and nurses of St Pius.. but instead the whole place is packed with some other drunkards and the music was too loud I can hardly converse with anyone in there. I am not good at shouting either but it's amazing how Mr Rodgers, Rowan, Mike and Ivor can shout and I can still hear what they're saying. I can hardly know what I said but they can hear me.. so I guess thats good enough.
And I must add, Ivor has lots of admirer that night.. He was occupied most of the time-be it nurses-both old n young ones, and also other doctors ;-) Whose name should never be mentioned. I am sure he knows that she likes him.. tapi buat tak tau.. and I managed to korek rahsia.. wah.. so nice ah.. it's nice to know I can have a normal conversation with an Irish doctor! Normal ie not medical talk. I will definitel miss all of them.. Mr Rodgers, Mr Imtiaz-he came!, Mr Casey, Mr Floyd, Mr Cullen, Angela, Bianca, Zee, Johanna, all the Marys, Jessica, Elaine, Ailish, Bernadette, Annette, Linda, Katie and others.. love them.. surpisingly Moya didnt come.
Yesterday was my last day with Mr Regan's team.. How do I describe that internship.. I am glad to have such a calm Reg and supportive co intern-Athar and Karl. Mr Regan himself is my role model-passionate, practical, kind and he listens to his patient- full of patience.. something that I dont quite have right now. I may be passionate about my work.. but sometimes, I get frustrated too easily when things didnt work out the way I wanted it to be.. although I should know that planning ahead doesnt work all the time. I get upset with nurses who kept on reminding me to write discharge letters when they know that I am still doing ward rounds with the team. How can I forget to do discharge letters-you dont have to tell me that. Arrghh... and the worst thing that I had to deal with during this rotation would be verbal abuse from nurses, patient and family members. One example would be at the OPD yesterday..
Patient: I have been waiting for 2 hours... when am I going in?
Nurse:Hmmm...
Me: Sure Mr G, come with me pls..
Me: Hi, My name is Imelda, I work with Mr Regan, pls take a seat
Patient: Yeah!
Flip.. flip..flip..
Me: So, Mr G, how can I help you?
Patient: You tell me! I was told to come to clinic today.
Flip.. flip.. Aha.. OGD, Colonoscopy.. check Histology then.. ok.. both normal.. hmm...
Me: Do you have any symptoms at the moment? Any indigestion/heartburn/belching?
Patient: None
Me: How's the bowel going for you? Any change in bowel habit?
Patient: NO
Me: Any blood in the back passage?
Patient: NO
Me: Is there anything else that's bothering you?
Patient: NO
Me: I was just looking through your chart here.. you had some scope tests in the past. They took a biopsy from both top and tail. I guess I here to tell you that both of the biopsies came back as normal considering you dont have any acute symptoms:
Patient: (roaring) WHY CANT YOU POST THAT TO ME instead of making me come over. I WAS TOLD TO COME AT 10.45 and it's 12.15 now.. I have been waiting for almost 2 hours. This is so behind schedule.
Me: I am sorry Mr G that you have to wait that long. I dont make those schedule.
Patient: You're just wasting my time here. I cant believe this.
Me: I dont understand why you are upset with me. Like I said I dont make the schedule.
Patient: I am going to leave now.
Me: Go ahead. You dont have to come back to us..
And I discharged him back to his poor GP-SUCH AN ASS HOLE. People ask him to come back because he has some unknown cause of anaemia and FOB positive.. query Barretts and Colon Ca.. but I guess he's not worried about that AT ALL. I do hope that he would get those.. because I didnt even get the chance to assess his risk factors.. ah if his GP feels he needs further Investigations, he would be referred back to us and by then, I am gone.. and I hope he wont get it until years where his ca has gone to his bone and liver. So angry!
0 Comments:
« back home | Post a Comment