Sunday, August 06, 2006

Blogging AgaiN


I was reading my previous post(s) and I was complaining on how I had to do 2 consults for just one patient.. but as the time went by.. I can even do 3-4 consults for one patient and a few others for a few other patients. I guess these things take time to learn and get comfy with. You can only learn these through experience of being told how to do things over the phone. One thing for sure.. I will never ring SPR (surgery) ever again.. apparently only SPR/REG can speak to them and they get very upset if INTERN ring them re consults. Medical Reg(s) are not so lo so.. The best would be the Palliative Medicine team.
My Reg was praising me profusely.. (I am not perasan or what la.. he said it..like 10 mins.. " brilliant, this is great.. wow.. this is great.. you're great.. this is excellent... ") because I managed to get the Oncology team, the Palliative Med team and Dietician to see a patient before 12pm and suddenly I felt uncomfortable.. so I told him to stop.. and he said.. No.. really you did a great job.. and so I said.. thanks Ivor but cut it.. and smiled. I know he meant well.. and I really like Mr Imtiaz too.. he invited me to the theatre yesterday.. because he said I better see what they do, rather than practicing calligraphy.. haha..I was writing notes in the patient's chart. He's so easy to talk to and loves teaching. Unfortunately he will only be with us for this month.. so sad.. tsk tsk tsk.. I must get him or Mr R or Mr C to sign my annual leave form. Mr B.. takut la.
Anyway.. we had another patient who came in complaining of lower back pain.. and pain over her left side.. she was sent straight to the surgical unit (general surgery) and not to us.. and unfortunately they informed us late. She had pyonephrosis-collection of pus in the kidney due to obstruction. She almost died from urosepsis and she is only 36. She spent 16 hours in the surgical unit.. and then, was sent to us. We did an IVP on her..a scan which allow us to visualise her kidney and the rest of the urinary tract. There was some delay on the left side. We ordered a delayed film 8 hours later.. and there was still no contrast going through her ureter on the left side, which means it is definitely obstructed...After the delayed film, she was sent to the ward.. and spiked a temp. (from 36.5 to 39). She was due for another delayed film and the porter was there to fetch her.. and luckily I told him to wait.. and let us take blood culture and give her IV antibiotics (Gentamicin and Ciprofloxacin).. She didnt go to the radiology dept later on but straight to theatre for stent insertion.. and Ivor just took 5 mins to insert the stent.. AMAZING MAN.. I was there.. and I could see the pus draining. He saved her.. and after that stent insertion, her vitals when crazy.. BP 80/60, pulse 140, PaO2-7.9- if he didnt put the stent and bypass the obstruction, she could have died from septicaemia. Thanks to Gentamicin and Ciprofloxacin too.. and she's on 36. Thanks be to God..
He's great.. I mean my Reg.. A/E nurse could not believe their eyes.. they thought he's an INTERN.. haha.. he looks young.. and he is young.. but he looks younger than his age.. but he has the knowledge, skills and attitude... he told me.. Imelda.. never prescribe Augmention Duo.. but Co-Amoxyclav... prescribe GENERIC.. could save patients a lot of money... and all of them are into teaching so that's GREAT. I will definitely miss them..
 
posted by Mel at 4:50 PM, |

0 Comments: