Monday, July 03, 2006
First day at work.. I am 25 today!
I am aging.. right on the day I start working.. so that has double effect. I woke up this morning and saw 4 messages.. all are from home..bro and sister wishing me the usual stuff.. Happy Birthday etc etc.. earlier on, I received a birthday card from Annie.. but dating earlier than that, Ger and I have made plans to have dinner at one of the chinese restaurants in Oranmore, about 10 mins drive from Galway.
So.. ok.. back to the morning thingy.. woke up at 6.30am this morning.. I kept on waking up just in case I'm late.. no more excuses for coming in late :-(( Saw the 4 messages, rushed to the toilet, got ready by 7.00am.. left home.. reached hospital 15 mins later.. changed to my white coat.. and 15 mins later... "Alamak.. I left my mobile in the locker!!!" but I cant turn back.. I would be late. When I got there.. the Registrars were there.. and non of the junior colleagues were there..eventually the whole team was there.. mind you.. 4 Regs (1 Locum thats why), 3 SHOs and 2 Interns but who's who? Their looks were deceiving.. I met 2 of the Regs-Dr Casey and Dr McFloyd.. but who is Dr Cullen..
I saw this old looking guy..who's so quiet.. but he's middle Eastern..So that cannot be Dr. Cullen.. and then, I saw this young Irish doctor.. hmm.. is that Dr Cullen???????
A few more others were there...and in the midst of trying to get myself orientated, I was still looking for my partner, Muhammed Almousawi. I saw this guy, a foreigner.. quite proactive.. he has been taking notes and writing in the patient's chart..so I was thinking to myself.. hey.. this is great..my partner is great.. as good as Joe.. and then, I approached him.. and asked.. "Are you Muhammed?" and he just smiled.."No.." I was so DisAppointed. I thought he's a Sudanese.. but he's from Botswana.. Little did I realise.. my partner is the old guy!
DUH!!!
Anyways.. time flew by so quickly.. I only had my lunch at 2pm.. I had to do 2 consults today.. FOR ONE PATIENT.. attempted 2 IV cannulas and both failed, took some bloods.. first blood was clotted because I put on the tourniquet for more than a min.. other bloods were ok.. Booked patient's blood who's for theatre on Wednesday, and post-op patient who had their procedure done today.. learnt that from my Master Joe... had to recheck if patient for tomorrow's theatre is ready.. and then.. Ta Da.. we have 2 patients for TURP-Transurethral Resection of the Prostate.. for those with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.. and I am not sure if group and hold bloods were done for them.. so I went on to do it.. and I dont know how to fill in the tag.. and that was already 7.45pm.. SO SAD.. I was in the hospital for 12 hours! and I was desperate..and I called Joe.. and when he asked.. is everything ok.. (he always asks me this) I almost cry.. I felt so alone.. my partner just left me because he has a baby to tend to? Argghh..I wish I have some other better excuse to leave early.. anyways.. thats life.. not going to happen anymore. I need to be more stern about this. He didnt even finish his work! FOR GOODNESS SAKE!! I am not covering him anymore.
I received 3 birthday wishes today-from Arnil, Annie, Andrew.. all the As.. didnt bring the other phone.. John tried calling, and Julian messaged me too.. wow.. all the Js at another phone. If you read this blog, thanks people for remembering this day of mine..
Ger waited for me... and off we went to Oranmore.. for that long waited dinner. She belanja me.. and gave me present some more.. aiseh.. so touched.. and I also found out that Mr J Conneelly and Mr B Barry are no longer in Galway.. both in Mater Hospital, Dublin.. and we have not seen Fiachra around.. I SAW MARTIN BRAND today..and he congratulate me.. ah.. he's so cute!
Anyway.. no one knows what I am blabbing about here.. unless u know who these people are. I just feel like writing today.. and I cannot let this moment passes me by without taking note of it. At least some of it.
In conclusion.. first day at work was not as bad as I thought it would be. I thought I would get along well with partner.. but I think I prefer my other team mates.. 2 of the Regs are nice.. Cullen and Casey.. Age.. hmm.. dont feel any difference.. but celebrating my birthday on my own.. away from home is definitely something different.. and I just have to get used to it.
By the way... I killed like 10 flies in the house.. including 2 maggots in the bins. Its disgusting.. but nothing beats the moment when we had to kill a sea of maggots.. Argh.. I love killing them.. and after hitting the publish post button, I am going to kill another fly who got away from my killer spray! I am also looking for those spiders lurking around the bins..
So.. ok.. back to the morning thingy.. woke up at 6.30am this morning.. I kept on waking up just in case I'm late.. no more excuses for coming in late :-(( Saw the 4 messages, rushed to the toilet, got ready by 7.00am.. left home.. reached hospital 15 mins later.. changed to my white coat.. and 15 mins later... "Alamak.. I left my mobile in the locker!!!" but I cant turn back.. I would be late. When I got there.. the Registrars were there.. and non of the junior colleagues were there..eventually the whole team was there.. mind you.. 4 Regs (1 Locum thats why), 3 SHOs and 2 Interns but who's who? Their looks were deceiving.. I met 2 of the Regs-Dr Casey and Dr McFloyd.. but who is Dr Cullen..
I saw this old looking guy..who's so quiet.. but he's middle Eastern..So that cannot be Dr. Cullen.. and then, I saw this young Irish doctor.. hmm.. is that Dr Cullen???????
A few more others were there...and in the midst of trying to get myself orientated, I was still looking for my partner, Muhammed Almousawi. I saw this guy, a foreigner.. quite proactive.. he has been taking notes and writing in the patient's chart..so I was thinking to myself.. hey.. this is great..my partner is great.. as good as Joe.. and then, I approached him.. and asked.. "Are you Muhammed?" and he just smiled.."No.." I was so DisAppointed. I thought he's a Sudanese.. but he's from Botswana.. Little did I realise.. my partner is the old guy!
DUH!!!
Anyways.. time flew by so quickly.. I only had my lunch at 2pm.. I had to do 2 consults today.. FOR ONE PATIENT.. attempted 2 IV cannulas and both failed, took some bloods.. first blood was clotted because I put on the tourniquet for more than a min.. other bloods were ok.. Booked patient's blood who's for theatre on Wednesday, and post-op patient who had their procedure done today.. learnt that from my Master Joe... had to recheck if patient for tomorrow's theatre is ready.. and then.. Ta Da.. we have 2 patients for TURP-Transurethral Resection of the Prostate.. for those with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.. and I am not sure if group and hold bloods were done for them.. so I went on to do it.. and I dont know how to fill in the tag.. and that was already 7.45pm.. SO SAD.. I was in the hospital for 12 hours! and I was desperate..and I called Joe.. and when he asked.. is everything ok.. (he always asks me this) I almost cry.. I felt so alone.. my partner just left me because he has a baby to tend to? Argghh..I wish I have some other better excuse to leave early.. anyways.. thats life.. not going to happen anymore. I need to be more stern about this. He didnt even finish his work! FOR GOODNESS SAKE!! I am not covering him anymore.
I received 3 birthday wishes today-from Arnil, Annie, Andrew.. all the As.. didnt bring the other phone.. John tried calling, and Julian messaged me too.. wow.. all the Js at another phone. If you read this blog, thanks people for remembering this day of mine..
Ger waited for me... and off we went to Oranmore.. for that long waited dinner. She belanja me.. and gave me present some more.. aiseh.. so touched.. and I also found out that Mr J Conneelly and Mr B Barry are no longer in Galway.. both in Mater Hospital, Dublin.. and we have not seen Fiachra around.. I SAW MARTIN BRAND today..and he congratulate me.. ah.. he's so cute!
Anyway.. no one knows what I am blabbing about here.. unless u know who these people are. I just feel like writing today.. and I cannot let this moment passes me by without taking note of it. At least some of it.
In conclusion.. first day at work was not as bad as I thought it would be. I thought I would get along well with partner.. but I think I prefer my other team mates.. 2 of the Regs are nice.. Cullen and Casey.. Age.. hmm.. dont feel any difference.. but celebrating my birthday on my own.. away from home is definitely something different.. and I just have to get used to it.
By the way... I killed like 10 flies in the house.. including 2 maggots in the bins. Its disgusting.. but nothing beats the moment when we had to kill a sea of maggots.. Argh.. I love killing them.. and after hitting the publish post button, I am going to kill another fly who got away from my killer spray! I am also looking for those spiders lurking around the bins..
0 Comments:
« back home | Post a Comment