Saturday, December 15, 2007
Tired & Exhausted-Day 20 of Obs n Gynae
I am so very exhausted-only managed to get time off today.. Thanks to Agnes. I am currently doing EOD call-Every Other Day calls.. which is mad!
How's life as an houseman? Sucks! How's life as a doctor? Sucks! There is no life. You are married to your job seriously. I do have regrets but my friends kept on reminding me that I should feel privileged to be given this opportunity to help those who need them. I supposed so, if you look at it that way-but it also means that you need to sacrifice your very own life to help others. Dedication has to be part of it. Otherwise, you would not be able to give your best to the society.
Sigh.. I almost killed a baby-although I still believe the medication slipped off her vagina.. and it did not cause her uterus to contract so badly. I induced her labour earlier. Her baby was admitted to ICU for perinatal asphyxia-thought to be secondary to hyperstimulation of the uterus (uterus contracting too frequent). Each time the uterus contracts, you are cutting blood supply including oxygen to the baby. The contraction should not be prolonged. When it is prolonged, that is when you would see pattern of fetal distress etc etc. The thing is, she was allowed to deliver normally ie there is no urgency in her delivery-because otherwise, she would have gone for Caesarian section or at least instrumental delivery. Most likely not my fault although I feel I am responsible for it.
Otherwise, life is quite uneventful. Actually, to be exact, there is no life. My life revolves around Hospital Likas. I leave home before 6am and I will only be back by 9pm. It is that bad. My colleagues are nice so far, although my seniors are pretty strict-I am sure they don't mean it. There is this one particular colleague who always trapped me and make me look bad in front of other seniors. I must let my consultant know the real situation.
I was told by this colleague, to do an operation theatre list for the next day. There is a protocol in the hospital, that the OT list should be in before 12 noon and of course I am not aware of that. Worst part, I don't even know that I was supposed to do the list that day. I was only told by that colleague about it by 2.10pm! I am not very happy about that, even now. I was quite pissed that day.
Today, he left me alone, doing 25 odd discharges. I can't believe he did that! That is so cruel and mean. We are both post-call. Argh. I am so annoyed.
How's life as an houseman? Sucks! How's life as a doctor? Sucks! There is no life. You are married to your job seriously. I do have regrets but my friends kept on reminding me that I should feel privileged to be given this opportunity to help those who need them. I supposed so, if you look at it that way-but it also means that you need to sacrifice your very own life to help others. Dedication has to be part of it. Otherwise, you would not be able to give your best to the society.
Sigh.. I almost killed a baby-although I still believe the medication slipped off her vagina.. and it did not cause her uterus to contract so badly. I induced her labour earlier. Her baby was admitted to ICU for perinatal asphyxia-thought to be secondary to hyperstimulation of the uterus (uterus contracting too frequent). Each time the uterus contracts, you are cutting blood supply including oxygen to the baby. The contraction should not be prolonged. When it is prolonged, that is when you would see pattern of fetal distress etc etc. The thing is, she was allowed to deliver normally ie there is no urgency in her delivery-because otherwise, she would have gone for Caesarian section or at least instrumental delivery. Most likely not my fault although I feel I am responsible for it.
Otherwise, life is quite uneventful. Actually, to be exact, there is no life. My life revolves around Hospital Likas. I leave home before 6am and I will only be back by 9pm. It is that bad. My colleagues are nice so far, although my seniors are pretty strict-I am sure they don't mean it. There is this one particular colleague who always trapped me and make me look bad in front of other seniors. I must let my consultant know the real situation.
I was told by this colleague, to do an operation theatre list for the next day. There is a protocol in the hospital, that the OT list should be in before 12 noon and of course I am not aware of that. Worst part, I don't even know that I was supposed to do the list that day. I was only told by that colleague about it by 2.10pm! I am not very happy about that, even now. I was quite pissed that day.
Today, he left me alone, doing 25 odd discharges. I can't believe he did that! That is so cruel and mean. We are both post-call. Argh. I am so annoyed.
0 Comments:
« back home | Post a Comment